Nimbus Health on Cloud Security & Scale

May 18, 2010 at 10:17 am 6 comments

The folks at Amazon Web Services invited me to speak at an event last week focused on helping enterprise customers understand how they could leverage cloud services.

Considering we store sensitive information like electronic medical records in the cloud, they asked me to speak on how AWS can be HIPAA compliant, as well as how we scale our services.  Here’s the presentation I put together:

Vodpod videos no longer available.

It covers:

• Who is Nimbus Health & what we’re building
  • Why we chose AWS over traditional hosting
  • Why we prefer virtual servers over physical servers
  • Why we think cloud hosting is more secure from a HIPAA perspective than traditional hosting
  • How we use EC2, S3, Elastic Load Balancing, Auto-Scaling and Cloud Watch to automatically resize our infrastructure based on load

Some of the above won’t come through without my commentary, but perhaps when I get a moment I’ll record some.

Questions, comments, concerns?  Let’s hear ‘um.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .

WSHIMA Conference: Professional Networking Online Sharing Files with your Teammates Online

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. Joe Landau  |  October 29, 2010 at 11:32 am

this presentation does not seem to be working

• 2. justinwi  |  October 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

Sorry to hear that Joe, appears to be working for me. Do you have flash installed and if so, what happens when you try to view the presentation here: http://prezi.com/sgqgmv5nil_r/nimbus-health-aws/

Thanks,
      Justin

• 3. Joe Landau  |  October 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

That worked. Thanks. Maybe I just didn’t know what to expect.

There was no voice-over; I’m not sure if there should have been.

I was wondering, where is your database that supports those machines on Amazon? Is it on Amazon too?

• 4. justinwi  |  October 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Yeah, would definitely be nice to record a voice over with the a Prezi.

Yes, we use SQL hosted on EC2 (AWS hosted) machines.

Feel free to shoot me a mail if you’d like to chat in more detail.

Justin

• 5. Mark Andre  |  March 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

Some problem as Joe but was able to view the presentation on Prezi. I was wondering if your invitation for a chat was still open? I was wondering how you handled security (encryption) of PHI data.

Thanks,
    Mark

• 6. Justin Wilcox  |  March 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm

We use Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) to transmit encrypted data from the client machine to the server. On disk, we use standard encryption mechanisms.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any further questions (JustinW at our domain name).